Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Root of the Deal











Occasionally, when I end up with a really good deal after a lot of twist and turns, I like to retrace my steps to see how good a deal it really is. If you are one of those people who gets a kick out of getting a great deal, you might enjoy this little journey back to the roots of my best deal this week.

Today, I paid 69 cents for two bottles of Nature's Bounty Fish Oil Supplements at Walgreens. How did I do that? Well, the supplements were BOGO (buy one get one free) at $10.49 each. I had two $1-off coupons, which brought the price to $8.49.

I wanted to use a $9 register reward for the purchase, but Walgreens won't allow more coupons than the number of items in the purchase (a register reward counts as a coupon). So, I added another item to the purchase - a 6 pack of children's toothbrushes from the clearance aisle.

With tax, the total was $9.69. I gave the cashier a $9 register reward and paid 69 cents out of pocket.

Where did I get the register reward? Earlier in the week, I purchased Zantac, which was $8.99. I had a $5-off coupon, so I paid $3.99 out of pocket. I got $9 back in register rewards.

So, when all is said and done, I paid less than $5 out of pocket for two bottles of supplements that together would regularly cost $20.98 plus tax. That's a savings of more than 80%! Plus, I also got some Zantac (which I don't really need, but I can give it to someone who does) and 6 children's toothbrushes (which I will definitely use).

Now wasn't that a fun little trip? I had a great time! I especially liked the fact that I was able to get something that is good for my health at a huge discount without having to sacrifice quality.
The Root of the DealSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment