Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Guest Post on Hartley's Life with 3 Boys:
Good Nutrition for Sensationally Picky Eaters










Have you ever heard the term "sensory processing" or "sensory integration"?  I certainly hadn't until about 6 months ago when I opened a door into an unfamiliar world full of new ways of understanding my children and their development.

So, what exactly is sensory processing? In a nutshell, it's the function of the brain that interprets the input that is being received through the senses. It seems likely to me that most everyone struggles with sensory processing issues to some extent, especially young children who are still developing. However, when someone's struggles are severe enough to impact normal daily life, that person may have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD).

Although neither of my children have been diagnosed with SPD, it has become clear to me that many of the behaviors they exhibit are related to sensory processing. Learning about sensory processing issues and how to deal with them has been nothing short of transformative. I think any person who deals with children would benefit from learning more about sensory processing. I certainly wish I had known about this a lot sooner!

The resource that has helped me the most with this issue is a blog written by Hartley Steiner called Hartley's Life with 3 Boys.  I got the practical, down-to-earth information I was seeking about sensory processing, along with some very helpful doses of encouragement and humor. Click HERE to view a news interview, in which Hartley sums up this very complex issue quite nicely.

Hartley has become a bit of a "sensory guru" to me over the past few months, so I was quite flattered when she asked me to write a guest post for her blog.  I wrote about a problem that most mothers face.... picky eaters. I'd love to hear about the ways you cope with your picky children.

Thanks again Hartley for inviting me to post on your site! 

Healthy Green & Frugal's Guest Post 
on Hartley's Life with 3 Boys:

Good Nutrition for
Sensationally Picky Eaters



Guest Post on Hartley's Life with 3 Boys:
Good Nutrition for Sensationally Picky Eaters
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment