Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Vegan Experiment - Day 3

It's the third day of My Vegan Experiment, and I'm feeling surprisingly at ease with this lifestyle change so far. However, I think the true test will be when I step out of the daily weekday routine and I'm at a restaurant or special occasion.

I was feeling a lot of cravings today. Interestingly enough, the cravings were not for dairy or eggs, but for desserts. So I decided to have a serving of Talenti strawberry sorbet, which is certified vegan, and doesn't contain any undesirable ingredients (other than 21 g of sugar per serving). Yes, it tasted lovely, but I was not satisfied. In fact, I felt a rush of cravings for a bunch of other things I didn't need. Interesting. Instead of trying to satiate some kind of emotional urge with empty calories (and failing), perhaps I'm better off just eating foods that actually add something worthwhile to my diet. Surely I can find more constructive ways to address those emotions.

I am experiencing continuing improvements related to digestion and congestion. In addition, I may have detected a bit more energy today. It's hard to tell just based on a single day, but it was particularly noticeable because I didn't get around to having a cup of tea until about 4PM. On most days, I'd be sleeping on my feet by that time without my afternoon dose of caffeine. However, today, I felt perfectly alert without it. Nice!

In truth, the biggest benefit I'm noticing from this experiment is that I'm becoming a lot more conscious of what I'm eating. I realized just how much I was eating without even thinking about it. It really helps me to read labels carefully, write down what I'm eating, and be accountable to someone. Thanks for keeping me honest and aware you guys!

Here's what I ate today. Pretty good on the veggies. I need more beans and grains tomorrow.
  • coffee with rice milk
  • whole grain wrap with hummus, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radish, and kohlrabi (it can be hard to find an acceptable tortilla wrap, but La Tortilla Factory offers a nice soft wrap with 13 g of fiber, 8 g of protein, and no hydrogenated oil or high-fructose corn syrup)
  • sparking apple juice (no added sugar)
  • fresh strawberries
  • organic raw cashews
  • half an organic orange
  • Talenti strawberry sorbet (on sale at Publix for $4 through Wednesday), which is certified vegan
  • earl grey tea with rice milk
  • cole slaw with raw sliced almonds
  • banana
  • whole wheat toast and organic hummus
  • orange juice
My Vegan Experiment - Day 3SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

  1. Have you read "The Conscience Cook"? I bought it thinking that I would like to incorporate some vegan meals into my diet. I haven't yet, and we haven't unpacked everything from the move so I can't find the book, but I read it in Germany and tried out a few of the recipes. I'd recommend it.

    Good Luck and Congrats on your experiment so far

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there - thanks for the well wishes!!! No, I haven't read that book, but it sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out.

    Good luck with your journey towards healthier meals! I'd love to hear about your favorites. I'd also love to hear if you're having any luck convincing your husband that healthy food can taste good. :)

    ReplyDelete